Dual-qualified in New York and England & Wales, Paul works on a broad range of cases for McAllister Olivarius, including employment discrimination, Title IX, sexual assault and harassment, and commercial litigation matters. He brings a wealth of litigation and arbitration experience to the firm, having previously practiced with Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan in New York and London, and Davis Polk & Wardwell in New York. In light of his experience litigating in both the US and the UK, he has particular expertise in cross-border disputes.
Paul holds degrees from Harvard Law School (LL.M.), the University of Oxford (B.C.L., with Distinction), and the University of Glasgow (LL.B., with First Class Honours). During his studies, he was the recipient of numerous academic awards and scholarships, including the Snell Exhibition (Balliol College, Oxford) and the St. Andrew’s Society of Washington, D.C. Scholarship (Harvard Law School). Following law school, he served as a foreign law clerk to Hon. Asher Grunis of the Supreme Court of Israel.
In addition to his work with the firm, Paul serves as Chair of the Scottish State School Mentoring Network, a non-profit that connects current state school pupils with their predecessors who have now entered the world of work, as Chair of American-Qualified Lawyers in London, a networking organisation for US-qualified lawyers in the city, and as a Trustee with several charitable organisations.
- Currently representing group of current and former employees of a major hospital network in a sex and race discrimination suit pending in the Southern District of New York (Atkinson et al v. Mount Sinai Health System, Inc. et al, 1:19-cv-03779).
- Achieved a multi-million dollar settlement on behalf of a high-level female executive subjected to sex discrimination at a major global financial institution.
- Secured a highly favorable settlement for a high-level whistleblower at a major hospital system.
- Negotiated a favourable settlement on behalf of a physician accused of breaching hospital bylaws.
- Advised multiple students and employees in connection with Title IX investigations at various colleges and graduate schools.
- Acted for a group of bondholders in a multi-billion dollar fraud and breach of contract action against a major investment in the Southern District of New York stemming from three Residential Mortgage Backed Security transaction (at prior firm).
- Acted for a monoline insurer in multi-million dollar breach of warranty action against Credit Suisse in the Supreme Court of New York and Appellate Division arising from six Residential Mortgage Backed Security transactions (at prior firm).
- Acted for a major investment bank in defending multiple lawsuits brought by shareholders of US companies in the Northern District of Georgia alleging market manipulation through short selling (at prior firm).
- Acted for numerous creditors of Lehman Brothers at various stages of its US bankruptcy proceedings (at prior firm).
- Acted for multiple US and European companies in merger review and clearance proceedings before the US Federal Trade Commission and Department of Justice (at prior firm).
- Acted for various public companies in defending class actions alleging violations of Sections 10(b), 20(a), and Rule 10b-5 of the Securities Exchange Act (at prior firm).
- Successfully sought US discovery in connection with foreign proceedings on behalf of various UK and European investment funds pursuant to 28 U.S.C § 1782 (at prior firm).
England & Wales
- Currently representing a US-based company seeking to enforce a multi-million dollar US judgment in the English High Court.
- Advised a co-founder of a biotech start-up on corporate governance issues.
- Obtained an outright win and recovery of costs on behalf of a defendant in a multi-million pound corporate fraud and misrepresentation case in the English High Court (at prior firm).
- Acted for investors seeking to recover €60m in a breach of contract action in the High Court (at prior firm).
- Acted for a major energy company alleging breach of a good faith clause and negligent misrepresentation by a joint venture partner in an LCIA arbitration (at prior firm)
- Acted for a major investment bank against another major investment bank in a substantial dispute over credit default swaps (at prior firm).
- Represented a group of investment funds and asset managements in a multi-jurisdictional dispute arising from the collapse of a major Spanish bank (at prior firm).