Dual-qualified in New York and England & Wales, Paul works on a broad range of cases for McAllister Olivarius, including employment discrimination, Title IX, sexual assault and harassment, and commercial litigation matters. He brings a wealth of litigation and arbitration experience to the firm, having previously practiced with Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan in New York and London, and Davis Polk & Wardwell in New York. In light of his experience litigating in both the US and the UK, he has particular expertise in cross-border disputes.
Paul holds degrees from Harvard Law School (LL.M.), the University of Oxford (B.C.L., with Distinction), and the University of Glasgow (LL.B., with First Class Honours). During his studies, he was the recipient of numerous academic awards and scholarships, including the Snell Exhibition (Balliol College, Oxford) and the St. Andrew’s Society of Washington, D.C. Scholarship (Harvard Law School). Following law school, he served as a foreign law clerk to Hon. Asher Grunis of the Supreme Court of Israel.
In addition to his work with the firm, Paul serves as Chair of the Scottish State School Mentoring Network, a non-profit that connects current state school pupils with their predecessors who have now entered the world of work, as Chair of American-Qualified Lawyers in London, a networking organisation for US-qualified lawyers in the city, and as a Trustee with several charitable organisations.
- Currently representing group of current and former employees of a major hospital network in a sex and race discrimination suit pending in the Southern District of New York (Atkinson et al v. Mount Sinai Health System, Inc. et al, 1:19-cv-03779).
- Achieved a multi-million dollar settlement on behalf of a high-level female executive subjected to sex discrimination at a major global financial institution.
- Secured a highly favorable settlement for a high-level whistleblower at a major hospital system.
- Negotiated a favourable settlement on behalf of a physician accused of breaching hospital bylaws.
- Advised multiple students and employees in connection with Title IX investigations at various colleges and graduate schools.
- Represented dozens of investors in multiple high-profile disputes against major investment banks arising from the global financial crisis, resulting in awards or settlements worth, cumulatively, billions of dollars (at prior firm).
- Successfully sought US discovery in connection with foreign proceedings on behalf of various UK and European investment funds pursuant to 28 U.S.C § 1782 (at prior firm).
England & Wales
- Currently representing a US-based company seeking to enforce a multi-million dollar US judgment in the English High Court.
- Advised a co-founder of a biotech start-up on corporate governance issues.
- Obtained an outright win and recovery of costs on behalf of a defendant in a multi-million pound corporate fraud and misrepresentation case in the English High Court (at prior firm).
- Represented a major global energy company in joint venture dispute before the London Court of International Arbitration (at prior firm).
- Represented a group of investment funds and asset managements in a multi-jurisdictional dispute arising from the collapse of a major Spanish bank (at prior firm).